Monday, July 7, 2008

I Seeked and Peaked!


Yesterday I took part in a breast cancer fundraiser called Seek the Peak! It's a 16km race from Ambleside Beach (oceanside) up the mountain side to the very Peak of Grouse Mountain. Most people do the race individually and most people run the race. I on the other hand chose to do the race as a relay (4-person team and each does one leg of the race) and no, we didn't run. We walked. Our team was called "3 Girls & A Guy". Me, Jen, Christie and Mike. Mike's the guy just in case you weren't sure. haha. Mike (a guy I work with) was also our ringer, as one leg of the race is a gruelling almost vertical 3km mountainside stair after stair hike. Not fun in my books but Mike does 'The Grind" all the time, so he was our Grinder. Us 3 girls....we were the 'elite' walkers. No, we didn't win any podium prizes but we had a great time. Turns out us 3 girls decided to do 3 of the 4 legs of the race, minus The Grind portion, and we had a great time! We walked 13kms in total and rode the skyride for the 3kms of the grind portion and all 4 of us completed the race together after doing the final leg all together. It was so fun! Next year we hope to do the entire 16kms, yes, including the Grind portion, so we'll have to get training asap! It felt really good to be outdoors, getting some fresh air, exercise, having good conversation with friends, seeing some grizzly bears along the way (yes they were in a fenced habitat -see photo below) and, most importantly, knowing we were doing a good thing: raising money for the fight against breast cancer! I thought of my sister a lot during the event and it made every step easier and easier. I'm happy to say I seeked and successfully peaked!

Thank you to everyone who supported me with this adventure both emotionally and also with your donation to Rethink Breast Cancer. If you'd like to make a donation or find out more about this charity click here.


No comments: