Saturday, April 5, 2008

Me and Trevor Linden....

Ok so his wife has nothing to worry about (she's gorgeous! and I'm happily married) but I have to admit that when I was young I had a major crush on Trevor Linden. I was dating a guy in high school who played hockey so we watched all the games and went to many too and I think I can blame him for my crush because he got me into the whole trading hockey cards and all that. He created the hype and I followed, but only Trevor Linden. Man did I have a crush! My boyfriend was going to a skate with the Canucks event and I even gave him a photo of myself to get him to get Trevor to sign! How vain! But he took it and Trevor signed it. I was in heaven! I even told my boyfriend (whom I loved dearly) that if I had the opportunity to date Trevor Linden that I'd leave him for Trevor, and he seemed fine with it as we were both pretty sure I would never meet him.

Anyway, high school ended, that relationship ended and my infatuation with Trevor Linden ended. Or so I thought. Well it did end for years and years....too many other fish in the sea I suppose. But then a couple of summers ago my Mom and I were in a golf store and who was trying on golf shoes but TREVOR. I was in my 30s but acted like I was 16. Total school girl crush took over me. I whispered in excitement to my Mom "That's Trevor Linden over there!" She knew that thru work I'd interviewed him a few months back so she said "Go talk to him, introduce yourself. Meet him professionally." But there was NO way. I just couldn't do it. I couldn't think of what to say or how to approach him...all I could do was continue shopping but watching him out of the corner of my eye the whole time. Pretty crazy I know. Since then I haven't thought about him at all until....

Last year, in the months leading up to my wedding I had a dream that Trevor interrupted my wedding ceremony and burst into the church yelling "Don't marry him, you're meant to be with me." Ok, I have to tell you I always have really CRAZY dreams that don't make sense, so this dream didn't frighten me about my upcoming marriage, I just laughed at it. And no, he didn't show up and interrupt my wedding - which was by the way the best day of my life!

And since my wedding last year I haven't thought about him at all, other than when people ask, "Did Trevor interrupt your wedding?" referencing that silly dream. In fact, I spent so many years dating guys who were major hockey fans that I saw a lot of games, now I don't even watch hockey anymore. I'm just not that into it. However, tonight I'm watching. Seeing as it could be Trevor's very last NHL game as a Vancouver Canuck, I think I owe it to myself to watch him one last time. After all, he's still pretty darn cute, and, in my opinion, the best Captain the Canucks have ever had. In fact, I think I still have my hockey card of him in a box somewhere in storage. I can't give that up! I'm too sentimental. Ahh silly crushes! Go Trevor!

4 comments:

* said...

SIGN THE PETITION FOR TREVOR LINDEN DAY, JULY 16TH

http://www.petitiononline.com/TrevDay/petition.html

Lisa B said...

I heard about the game on the weekend, maybe Trevor's last. Apparently the fan support for him was totally emotional, which is fantastic. He deserves all the accolades he gets.
Did you know that Katy once double-dated with Trevor?! He was a rookie, about 18... can't remember which Canuck Katy was with. You had a connection all these years and you didn't even know it!

Anonymous said...

Don't encourage her! Me and Trevor might have to duke it out for Rebecca! I'm not too worried though, Trevor was never known as a fighter.

Lisa B said...

Not a fighter, true, but now he has lots of spare time. :o)