Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Why wear a purple bracelet?

Plastic bracelets have been all the rage over the past few years and so many different groups have them in many different colours to support different causes. Of course there was the Lance Armstrong yellow bracelet and the pink Breast Cancer bracelet and so many others. I actually didn't wear one until I discovered the Purple Bracelet. Why do I choose to wear this one? Well, studies have shown that positive people are healthier, live longer and have a better sense of well-being, they're happier people. And in a world right now that is so full of hate and destruction and terror and sadness and pain (ok I know it's not all bad but there is a lot of yuckiness in the world right now) I really wanted to be a positive part of the world, not negative. Besides, nobody wants to be around a negative person, who needs it?! So, to do my part, and to remind me to continue to try to do my part, I got a purple Positively Speaking bracelet. You can get them online by donation to charity. It's actually a bit of a difficult challenge but basically you wear the purple bracelet to remind you to speak positively for 21 days straight. And when you mess up (I messed up within a few hours on day 1) you swap it to the other wrist....and keep going til you've reached 21 days. Why 21 days? Well that's how long it takes to form a new habit and speaking positively all the time isn't as easy as it seems. I've always tried to be a good person, a kind, loving and caring person but what comes out of my mouth doesn't always exemplify that attempt. We all have things in life that frustrate us and sometimes we get down on things, or bitch about things, yet complaining isn't speaking positively now is it? The bracelet reminds us to try to think before we open our mouth and try to look at the bright side, and find a way to be more democratic and to not add any more negativity to the situation. Oh and gossip is the worst! Everybody wants to know everybody's business and it's so easy to slip into a gossipy conversation, but, gossip isn't healthy and we all know that. So, with the bracelet, when I'm tempted to open my mouth, I try to pause and either get out of the conversation or I try to say something nice. Remember what Mom always used to say..."If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all!" And whadaya know, it'll make you feel good about yourself as well! I have to admit I haven't reached 21 days yet but I'm trying.

No comments: