Thursday, March 20, 2008

Doing our part for our world!

Ok so I'm definitely not one to preach but....I watched this video today called "The Story of Stuff with Annie Leonard" and while I already thought I was somewhat 'green', I realized that green isn't even enough for the future our our world.

I care about the future of the planet and for my future kids (don't have any yet) and for future generations, but wow, this whole issue of using up our resources and creating garbage twice as fast as we did a generation ago is a much bigger issue than I thought. The stats in this video are staggering.

While I learned the lesson a bunch of years back that it's not about how much money one makes or how much stuff one has, our society is still so driven by stuff. Gotta have more stuff! And better stuff. Yet most of the stuff I already have really would still suffice. I have an older big fat TV but if works. I don't NEED an awesome flat screen LCD, but it would be nice. We're so driven by getting the latest and greatest - no wonder there's so many perfectly good but maybe not the latest and greatest computers in the landfills. Ugh, it makes me shudder to think about it. And, the worse part for me personally is that I contribute to that 'gotta have more stuff' as I work in media and yes, media promotes consumerism which drives our economy but also our desire to 'have more stuff'. I know my place of work is very supportive of being green and recycling and paying attention to our carbon footprint, but is that enough? Sadly no, at least not from what I learned today by watching "The Story of Stuff".

I really encourage you to watch it because it's our world afterall. We're all in it together and it's going to take ALL of us to make a difference. I'll warn you, it is 20 minutes long, but isn't our future worth 20 minutes? It's definitely worth watching to help give us all a new perspective.

Maybe tomorrow morning instead of doing your daily crossword, or Sudoku, grab a coffee and take 20 minutes to watch this informative video. On the website it says "It'll teach you something, it'll make you laugh, and it just may change the way you look at all the stuff in your life forever." Trust me, if you watch it, you'll be glad you did! And I'm sure you'll be encouraging your friends to watch it too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Reb, love the new blog. We definitely want to leave a good impression on our kids and knowing how to do our 'green' part is so important and that it gets passed on correctly so they will have a future for their kids too.