Sunday, March 9, 2008

Something to be proud of!

We all do things to be proud of, at least now and again. In 2003 the thing I did that I was proudest of was completing a triathlon. I'm by no means an athlete. I jogged now and again but was not a swimmer and not a biker either. So when I worked on a morning radio show and was asked by the triathlon organizers to compete, I laughed and said no. After a bunch of repeat asks, I finally gave in. Unfortunately, after a few weeks of training it was the day to get on the road bike. It was my first time ever on a road bike. I say unfortunately because after riding the 40km route, which went quite well I'm told, I had the misfortune of riding over some train tracks and my tire got stuck. I launched over my handlebars and landed on my head, with my face sliding along the pavement. My brother who was drafting behind me didn't have time to react and he ran over me. The ambulance came to scrape me off the pavement and took me to the hospital where I was diagnosed with a grade 3 concussion. Luckily though, I was only scraped and bruised. I hadn't broken any bones. But the concussion was enough. I was off work for 2 months and my jaw was jarred shut. My family wondered if I'd ever be the same. Whilst in the altered concussed state I decided that I'd do the triathlon anyways. I really musn't have been well. But, in the end, I did do the triathlon with just a couple of weeks of training. It took me well over 3 hours to complete but my goal was to finish and that I did. Plus, the bonus was that I wasn't last. It was the most amazing feeling crossing that finish line and throwing my hands into the air. I was crying with relief, with pride, with joy. I highly recommend doing a triathlon to anyone. If you put your mind to it, you can do it! I figure that if I can do one...little old me who's no athlete and was recovering from a head injury, anyone can do one. I really believe that. Now another thing that makes me cry, no matter how many times I watch it, is the story of Dick and Rick Hoyt, a father and son who do triathlons together. You'll have to see it for yourself, and be warned, you'll need tissues. Now that's something to be proud of!

No comments: